Sunday, April 29, 2012

Writing on the Path of Least Resistance


I decided quite some time ago I needed to take the path of least resistance in my life. I’ve considered myself a writer for as long as I can remember, yet somehow this didn’t affect my choices early on, when it came to writing on the Internet. I hemmed, hawed and backed myself into corners, when clearly I was in a room without them.

Writing sites worked to get my feet wet with Internet writing. I’ll give them that. But that’s all I will give them. They taught me to cut and paste, format and even learn a little html for the sake of sanity. I noticed those html skills came in handy today when I was updating this blog. You wouldn’t believe how much I didn’t know I already knew!



Getting back on track now…

Perhaps that’s why I chose to update my crochet blog first. Oh, did I mention I’m on a mission to revive my old blogs, and take that path of least resistance I discussed in the opening paragraph of this post? Crochet and blogging are fun. It’s why I started that blog in the first place…to have fun with crochet and writing simultaneously. Sharing what I already love to do is one way of taking the path of least resistance.

Somewhere along the line, I got all bunged up and serious about writing. Spent too much time on writing forums, I suppose. Listened to too much negativity on writing mill sites – you know the ones…they tell you how you’re going to increase traffic to all your work, but what they don’t tell you is that in doing so, you’re going to increase traffic to their site and fight for a place on the front page!

RUN, DON’T WALK, AWAY!!!

This is the Internet, and any site that tells you to follow their specific formula for success to get yourself noticed, isn’t telling you how to become a star, but asking you to help them improve their own Google Page Rank!

The path of least resistance is the one you feel most comfortable taking. For me, it’s being true to myself, not taking myself too seriously and when money is involved, making sure I’m happy with the entire situation. I won’t grovel for assignments. I won’t accept pennies for articles and I will walk away from a bad deal. If I didn’t, writing would quickly take the path of burnout, block and all those terms we use to express writers being unable to write. There’s a reason for it, and it’s not because we simply don’t have anything else to say!


©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, GNU Free Documentation License