Thursday, April 15, 2010

Developing a Focal Point in Writing

So, how’s that working for you? It’s not? Well, what are you going to do about it? These are the questions we need to ask ourselves on a regular basis. What were our goals when we started? How did we adapt them to detours along the way? What changes need to take place that will allow us to keep pursuing our dreams?

I’m mixing things up a little bit these days, taking a good hard look at the effort I put forth and weighing it against the product I produce. Time is valuable and I don’t have enough of it to waste on things that don’t really matter to me.

I love doing research, but I can’t learn about everything in the world, and I certainly can’t write effectively about so many different things. As a writer, I need to prioritize topics. More importantly, I need to have genuine interest in the things I write about. Once I do that, I can search for the venue that will expose my work to the world.

My tip for you today is to minimize outside distractions, attractions and temptations in your writing. Take time to focus on what really matters in your work, and be the writer you want to be, without selling yourself short by getting caught up in the rat race of projects, deadlines and publicity. Let your writing speak for itself and you won’t need to worry about any of those things anyway.