Thursday, April 29, 2010

Creating a Writing Portfolio

Organizing and showcasing your work is often underrated in the writing world. Many of us build our portfolios chronologically, instead of by theme. We have a long list with no real categorization to highlight the skills we’ve learned, places we’ve been and expertise we are able to share with others.

Personally, my own portfolio reminded me of a catch all or junk room. Perhaps you can relate. Maybe not. When I think about the time and effort I put into researching and presenting my articles to the world, I don’t want them to then be thrown into the abyss of cyberspace emptiness. I want the world to know that they’re timeless and valuable. I want them organized and easy to find so people can read them whenever they want.

Enter the stage of the world wide blogosphere. This is where I will take the time to present my writing to the world, the place where my work can be found by topic and subtopic, by those who are looking for useful information on a specific subject. These folks won’t wade through my mix/mash of a portfolio hoping to find what they are looking for. They will backspace and find a site that tells them directly, a site like Lots of Crochet Stitches by M. J. Joachim.

From now on, anything I write about crochet will be quickly categorized on its own special website so the people looking for it can find it easily. It takes a lot of time and effort to set up a system like this, and I’ve only just begun the process. Whether or not it works remains to be seen; logically it makes a little more sense than having one big portfolio with hundreds of articles in it though.