Friday, October 9, 2009

Researching vs. Learning

I’ve been doing a lot of research for new articles lately. I go to the library and gather my books, wishing I could actually read one or more of them from cover to cover. Time escapes me as I hurry to collect my notes and develop my article in record speed. Sometimes I even have to think back a day or two later and really try to remember what I wrote about.

It’s the way of the world these days. Everybody is in so much of a hurry that there is little if any time to enjoy the activities we’re so busy doing. We even take shortcuts to get things done faster. I actually checked out videos for some of my research so I could work on crafts for a future garage sale while I was learning.

Then something amazing happened in the midst of all my work. I got interested, not just in the immediate task, but in the actual subject matter. I found myself intrigued by what I was learning, and I wanted to slooowww down and take my time with it. I wanted to enjoy the process and journey of my work, not just finish the final product.

When all was said and done, I didn’t actually quit the race I was in. In fact, I finished my article rather quickly. But when I was done, I chose to read one of those books I checked out, and I’m already on chapter 6. Life is in the journey, and it feels good to be interested in the process of living without having to get anything done about it.