Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Influenced by Words

Life takes a hold of you sometimes in ways you don’t expect. It can cause you to reexamine why you do what you do and question whether or not it makes a difference. Different things can cause you to withdraw from participation now and in the future. They can dampen your spirit, so to speak.

Perhaps that dampening is necessary to breathe. Maybe it’s not such a bad idea to step back and take stock of who we are and what we are about from time to time, to question if we’ve made a difference, and acknowledge that failure is only a state of mind and circumstance.

I believe that when all is said and done, God won’t ask me how much money I made or how famous I became. I prefer to think He’ll talk to me about matters of the heart and soul, ignoring my human successes and failures, while considering my willingness to love in spite of all obstacles. These are much harder to come by, and as a writer, I will be held accountable for every stroke on my keyboard, and every word I didn’t say as well.

Words are frivolous things. They set tones, cause interpretations, and change outcomes depending on how and when they are used. They influence people, often changing the actions of entire groups of people, sometimes causing great damage to them too.

When words are spoken or written, we must do our part to hear them accurately, and perhaps even find out what words may have been left out that shouldn’t have been. As writers, we must be responsible enough to be true to our words and have the ability to back them up in full.