Monday, July 20, 2009

How to Write Research

As a writer, I observe everything. I hear every word in a conversation, even ones that are purposely omitted. Gestures, tones, and stances don’t get by me, as I study every detail of things around me, subconsciously taking note for things I must share with the world through my work.

Research is not merely retelling facts. It is discovering what needs to be learned, and sharing it with those who need or want to know. Research is alive and happening right now, even as I type this post. Every sound and object can be thoroughly studied, and a story revealed about details waiting to be discovered.

Oh sure, it’s much easier to regurgitate facts, but only if you want to create an FAQ sheet. True written research reveals life and how it operates. It notices every detail, carefully documenting not only what happened, but the significance behind it. The heart of research is learning to touch the soul of the world, and become one with it, attempting to understand every lesson it reveals.

The task of the writer is to teach the lessons research reveals. He must never bore people with the tedious facts about his subject. Instead he is required to tell a story that connects and unites his reader with the topic at hand.