Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Free Writing Resources

I get a lot of emails trying to sell me programs on how to promote my writing. The most recent offer says that I can sign up for a free 21 day trial for only $1.00. That sounds pretty good, right? Sure it does, until I take stock of my own resources.

As a writer, I know how to do research. I know where to look for information, and who to interview to get the answers I need. If I want to promote my writing, there are several valuable resources available to me, and they don’t costs anything.

1. The Internet: When doing research on your topic, dig deep, and find out everything there is to know.

2. The Library: Check our materials on things related to your topic, as well as those that are topic specific. You never know what you might discover.

3. People: Meet them on blogs, call them on the phone, and talk to them in person. Many people know much more than we give them credit for, so ask the questions, and see where individual answers lead you.

I suppose I could sign up for a special marketing program to learn all those trade secrets, especially if it’s only a dollar to join. What happens when my 21 day trial period is up? How easy will it be to close my account? How much will I end up spending in the process? And why would I want to pay any amount for something, when I can get the same exact thing for free, just by doing my research?