Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Writing What Needs To Be Said

I recently installed Scrabble on my hard drive. For those of you who don’t know, this is a crossword type game where you take scrambled letters in your hand, and make words that connect to other words on the board. As a writer, I tend to enjoy word games, and this one is among my favorites. I have childhood memories of sitting around a table where 4 of us would gather to play on Sunday afternoons. Technology hadn’t quite invaded the use of free time like it has today, so social skills were practiced as well.

The dynamics of computer Scrabble are different. I gravitate toward a timed game where I get 25 seconds to make a word using the letters in my hand. The computer and I go back and forth until all the letters are used. It gets pretty intense, as I hurry to put down 3 letter words when the time is almost out. I lost a few of these games before I got used to time limits, but now I’m able to win quite easily, and continue to increase the level of difficulty for playing.

Our writing should be like this as well. We should challenge ourselves, and test our limits. We should maximize our potential to think of new words with ease, and push the boundaries of comfort zones, not only among ourselves, but with our audience. The media will invade our minds with what it wants to have us think about. As writers, we need to create a balance, and reflect what others only desire to say out loud. We need to be the voice of those who have no voice; they are people who often need healing and crave real communication in an isolated world.