Friday, June 26, 2009

The Twitter Debate

I’m debating about Twitter. They say it could replace blogging, but I think there is room for both in this web of universal communication. I happen to like blogging because I am a writer. I also like writing articles. These things are fun for me. And I know people enjoy them based on the comments and emails I receive.

It takes time to process writing ideas before I’m ready to type words into the computer. Inspiration can hit like a hurricane or it can simmer for months, before making its way to the surface, and allowing me to craft a message for my audience.

Twitter appears to be instantaneous. It is one more hurried message in a world moving too fast. It is one more distraction from the true creative process of writing. However, it is also a business and marketing tool. There appears to be pros and cons for Twitter, as there are for most things.

Using the example of fast food, I’d like to do a creative comparison. Fast food is great for those in a hurry. It meets the need of filling your stomach, quenching your cravings, and letting you carry on with more important things in your life…because eating healthy is an option, not a priority, right?

Twitter then satisfies your curiosity, instant messages your latest and greatest news, and allows you and your network to carry on with the rest of their important priorities, like eating fast food to carry on with more important things, right?

Fast forward now, to the age of obesity and a damaged environment caused by the benefits of a throw-away society. It sort of snuck up on us, didn’t it? All of those instant meals took a toll on our health, and the trash and environmental hazards that became one of their many bi-products has been the source of multiple studies, many funded by government with your tax dollars.

Will Twitter and instant messaging help or hurt our future? I don’t know. What I do know is that if it replaces blogging, and becomes the standard of reading throughout the world, many people will suffer from limited writing and communication skills. Our brains will be on overload from too much trivial communication without enough healthy information to create a balance, and society could suffer as a result.