Monday, May 11, 2009

The Benefits of Selective Reading

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 11/18/15


I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother’s Day! I spent the day with my family, and it was so peaceful and relaxing. They gave me a few new books to read, some at my request, others because I liked the author. Since we are writers, reading is important to us. We hope people will enjoy our writing, and we have a great time reading good literary works ourselves. (May 11, 2009)

While many writers will tell you to read everything you can get your hands on, and I absolutely agree, I want to suggest reading works that will feed your creative spirit, be a source of education for you and inspire you to become better in everything you do. As a reviewer, I read as much as I can, which means I don't always have the luxury of being selective, because indie authors are important to me, and I want to help them anyway I can. Still, I make a point to be selective in my reading as much as possible. I also make a point to stay informed, learning all I can about my own writing craft, so that I can continue to improve, learn new tricks of the trade, become more knowledgeable about publishing, marketing and promoting myself, and making every attempt to be smart and efficient in my efforts.

Reading shouldn't clutter your mind. It should open it, and make you feel better off for having experienced the book. If the book isn't an experience, it probably wasn't worth reading, unless of course it's a resource or research book you need. Then you should expect it to be a little less of an experience, yet still packed with important information, so you feel better about having studied it. Either way, by being a selective reader, you are choosing high quality books to read, thereby supporting qualified authors publishing quality works.

Regardless of what you choose to read or why, your vote to purchase a book and read it speaks volumes. Then, if you take the time to rate or review it, you say even more. The market is inundated with published works of all sorts and kinds. There are mass publishing sites, books and ebooks, bloggers and app producers. Writing is everywhere, which is all the more reason to be selective about what you read, because your selection could be the difference between quality vs. quantity, in a world completely flooded with publications of every kind.

Here’s to letting the cream of the crop rise to the top, by being selective in everything we choose to read.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved   Photo credit:  CCO Public Domain