Thursday, May 7, 2009

Humble Beginnings

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 11/18/15


Below in italics is the very first, original and completely unchanged post, I ever published on this blog, which was the very first blog I ever started on May 7, 2009. Thank you Blogger! I’m now hooked, and oh, how things have changed for the better over the years. I have to be honest, I had no idea what I was doing in the world of Blog Land.

I’d come from a place where I earned up to $1,000+ p/month sometimes for all the articles I produced, and it was a nice little chunk of change. The more they paid, the more they tweaked the rules, eventually selling to a much bigger publisher; I think Helium managed to get sued, if I remember right. All I know is that at some point, I was given access to all my articles, because in the court proceedings it was determined that writers could retain their copyright, and Helium couldn’t exploit their work and their efforts there. I walked away well before it got to that, opting to gather clients the old fashioned way, and submitting my work to various other publications. It was still a paycheck, and I had much more control over how I earned it and what I got paid.

Life changed too. My kids grew up. Family did its thing. My Mom passed. My granddaughter was born, and my grandson is due early next year. I write, blog and publish more as a hobby now, opting to babysit much more, so I can spend time with my beautiful grandchildren, making sure they get the best possible care, while minimizing expenses for my daughters. It’s a win/win, because family means so much to me, and we really do have one of the most amazing families I’ve ever known out here in the desert southwest. And now, I present to you my humblest of blogging beginnings...

Helium was a great site to write for, but you have to be prepared. Your ego will get deflated, and you will have emotions about it. I remember when I first started writing for Helium, before it had become a household name. My intention was to use it as a way to express myself, and release my inner drama.

It didn’t take long to realize that there was more to Helium than I expected. I jumped in full force, making myself prominent on the forums. I made friends with other writers and staff alike. I even produced a few zones. My writing began to develop and take on a life of its own.

This was unfamiliar territory, despite the fact that I had earned my college degree. You see, even though I always wanted to be a writer, I wasn’t prepared for the world of freelance writing. My work in college had always done well, and many of my teachers praised my ability to express the written word. Still, writing for Helium was challenging.

My first tip for you is to meet the challenge of freelance writing head on. Accept the blow to your ego with humility, and persevere. If you truly consider yourself a writer, get used to set backs and rejection. Don’t be fooled by all those people with 5 writing stars on the site. They had to travel the same path, and overcome the same obstacles. Believe in yourself! You are a writer, and the greatest writer’s in this world all had a hint of humility in their work!

M. J.

Anyway, I needed to updated this post, and taking a short trip down Memory Lane seemed the best and easiest way to do it. I hope your blogging journey has been as pleasant and wonderful as mine, because if it’s not enjoyable, I can’t help but wonder why anyone would do it. Thanks so much for stopping by. I wish you every good thing today and always.

M. J.

©2009, 2015  Photo credit:  M. J. Joachim, Washington/Oregon, ©2015 All Rights Reserved